Steven B. Ungar
For nearly 40 years, Steven Ungar has represented individuals and companies, in governmental investigations and prosecutions, as well as corporate investigations. He specializes in defending those accused of white collar crimes such as RICO, tax evasion, securities fraud and regulatory offenses. Steven is also the go-to lawyer for advising Native American tribes facing regulation of their internal affairs. While at home in high profile cases, focusing on crisis management, Steven is equally adept at behind-the-scenes defense strategies, and if preferred, avoiding the front-page. Steven was appointed by two Governors to serve as Chairman of the Oregon Lottery Commission, from 2005 to 2012. He was General Counsel to a prominent public company in the software, gaming and lottery industries. Steven guides the diverse and talented team at Ungar Law Office LLC, to reach the best results possible for its clients.
Professional and Community Activities
- Chairman, Oregon Lottery Commission (2005-2012) — first appointed by Governor Ted Kulongoski, continued service under Governor John Kitzhaber.
- Member and Chair, Governor’s Judicial Screening Committee (2002-2010) — interviewing judicial candidates for vacancies and other appointments.
- Member, Board of Directors of Health Republic Insurance Co-Op (2014-present)
- President and Litigation Coordinator, American Civil Liberties Union (“ACLU”) of Montana (1985-1993)
- Member, Executive Committee of the Jewish Federation of Portland’s Community Relations Committee (1998-2004)
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, National Board of Directors of Jewish Council for Public Affairs (JCPA) (2001-2008)
- Stanford Jazz Workshop, instruction and performance (drums) (1978-Present)
Honors and Awards
- Peer Review Rated “AV” in Martindale-Hubbell, having received a peer review rating of 5.0 out of 5. 0.
- Named as one of The Best Lawyers in America®, White Collar Criminal Defense (2005-2014)
- Named as “Oregon Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers magazine, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2006-2014)
- Oregon Daily Journal of Commerce “Leadership in Law” Award Finalist (2012)
- American Civil Liberties Union (Montana), Special Commendation for 10 years’ service as President (1994)
- J.D., University of Missouri, 1979
- B.A., Washington University, St. Louis, 1975
- State bars of Oregon and Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eight Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the District of Montana
- Co-Author, Chapter 13: Health Care Fraud & Abuse, Health Law In Oregon, Oregon State Bar Legal Publications, 2012.
- Feds decide no charges for ex-Gov. John Kitzhaber & Cylvia Hayes, OregonLive.com, June 16, 2017